Texas Certified License to Carry a Handgun (LTC) Instructor
NRA Certified Instructor

Texas LTC FAQs

Do I have to take a special class to get a license?

Yes.  You must take a minimum 4-6 hour class taught by a DPS Certified Instructor.  After completing the class, you will earn a License To Carry A Handgun Proficiency Course Certificate of Training (CHL-100). This form must be sent to DPS along with your online application

Do I need to know how to shoot?

Experience with a handgun is not needed.  First Law of Nature teaches a comprehensive 6-8 hour LTC class.  You will leave our class with the knowledge and the ability to protect yourself and your loved ones should the need arise.

Will I need to have a gun before I begin my training class?

No.  You may borrow one prior to coming to class or you may rent one from us.

What are the requirements for obtaining a license?

The License To Carry A Handgun Law sets out the eligibility criteria that must be met. Applicants must be at least 21 years of age (unless active duty military) and must meet Federal qualifications to purchase a handgun.  A number of factors may make you ineligible to obtain a license, such as: felony convictions and some misdemeanor convictions, including charges that resulted in probation or deferred adjudication; pending criminal charges; chemical or alcohol dependency; certain types of psychological diagnoses protective or restraining orders, and defaults on state or city taxes, governmental fees, or child support.  Eligibility requirements can be found in GC §411.172.

You must also submit a completed application, pay the required fees and submit all of the required supplemental forms and materials.

My license to carry a handgun has expired, and my renewal application is in process. Can I carry a handgun while I am waiting to receive my new license?

No. You must have a currently valid license in your possession to carry a handgun.

Can I start carrying a handgun as soon as I receive my license in the mail?

Yes, but you may not carry before you receive the license.

If I was arrested for an offense but the charges were dismissed, will my application be rejected?

No. Dismissals are not grounds for denial, as long as you were not placed on probation or deferred adjudication prior to the dismissal.

Should I list all arrests on my application even if the cases were dismissed or I was found not guilty?

Yes. Failure to disclose all of your arrests and convictions is an independent ground for your denial of your application.

If I have spent time in a psychiatric care facility, will I be eligible for a license?

Unless you have been legally adjudicated as a mental defective, eligibility for a license to carry depends on your current diagnosis. Past psychiatric treatment will not necessarily make you ineligible.

When you submit your application you may wish to include a letter or statement from your treating physician regarding the current status of your condition.

If a judge has found me to be delinquent on my payment of child support, but I have since worked out an arrangement with the Attorney General’s office to pay off the debt, can I get a license?

Yes. If you have a payment plan with a government agency for back taxes or child support and the agency sends DPS a clearance letter, you may apply. Include a copy of the agreement and letter with your application materials.

The license to carry a handgun law was designed to encourage those who made no effort whatsoever to pay what they owe.

After I was arrested and charged with a criminal offense, I received an order of deferred adjudication. Is this considered a conviction, even though the case was eventually dismissed?

Yes. The license to carry a handgun law states that deferred adjudication will be treated as a conviction, except for orders of deferred adjudication over 10 years old for certain felony offense not involving violence against a person. See Texas Gov’t. Code.

If I was convicted of a misdemeanor offense two years ago, can I still get a license to carry a handgun?

No. Let’s take DWI as an example. DWI (first offense) is a Class B misdemeanor, and a person is not eligible for a license for five years after a conviction for a Class A or Class B misdemeanor or for the offense of disorderly conduct.

A ‘conviction” includes cases that were dismissed after you completed probation or deferred adjudication. If you have been convicted of two or more alcohol or drug-related misdemeanor offenses within the last 10 years, you may not be eligible.

Once I submit my application, when should I expect to receive my license?

DPS will make every effort to issue your license within 60 days of receiving the completed application packet. If the application is incomplete or requires additional information to complete the background check, you will be notified in writing.

Can others find out if I am licensed to carry a handgun?

Information about persons who are licensed to carry a handgun is confidential and may not be disclosed to an individual. However, upon proper request by a criminal justice agency, DPS must disclose to the agency whether or not a named individual is licensed to carry a handgun. Disclosable information includes the license holder’s name, date of birth, gender, and zip code. DPS must notify the license holder about the request and provide him/her the name of the agency making the request.


If I am not carrying my handgun, must I still carry my license?

Under the license to carry a handgun law, you are only required to have your license with you whenever you are carrying your handgun. However, many license holders choose to carry their license with them at all times.

Can I carry a handgun without a license while driving or traveling in a motor vehicle?

Effective September 1, 2007, a person who can legally possess a firearm may possess or carry a handgun in a motor vehicle (including a recreational vehicle with living quarters) that is owned by or under the lawful control of the person. However, the firearm must be concealed, the person may not be engaged in criminal activity, and may not be a member of a “criminal street gang.” The person may also carry the handgun to and from his vehicle without a license. See Texas Penal Code 46.02 (a). However, DPS recommends that you seek the advice of an attorney with any questions regarding the unlicensed carrying of weapons.

If my handgun is on the seat beside me, am I still considered to be “carrying?”

Yes. The statute refers to carrying a gun “on or about” your person. Texas courts generally have considered this to include any gun within your reach, including one stored in your glove compartment or even in a passenger’s purse, if you can reach it without materially changing your position.

Can a license holder have a handgun in the license holder’s vehicle in a school parking lot?

A license holder is not prohibited from having a handgun in his or her vehicle in a school parking lot. (School employees should know and comply with their employer’s policy on this point.) However, it is a criminal offense for any person who is on school property to exhibit, use, or threaten to exhibit or use a firearm. See Texas Education Code 37.125(a).

If I drive to a shopping mall that does not permit handguns, will I be allowed to park in the parking lot and leave my gun in the car?

If the parking lot is not posted with the sign described above, handguns may be left in the cars. However, if the sign is posted in or at the entrance to the parking lot, you may not.

Do private property owners have the right to exclude license holders from their property?

Yes. Private property owners may give notice excluding license holders from carrying a handguns. If you carry a handgun on posted property, you can be charged with criminal trespass by a license holder. The charge is a Class A misdemeanor, and if you are convicted, your license will be revoked.

Do police officers have the right to disarm me?

Yes. If a peace officer reasonably believes a safety risk exists, the officer may disarm you.
For more information contact the Texas Dept. of Public Safety.
You may call (512) 424-7293, write Texas Department of Public Safety License To Carry A Handgun - MSC 0245 PO Box 4087 Austin, TX 78773-0001 or online at http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/rsd/contact/default.aspx